Balanced input using HiFiBerry

Hi,

I have a HiFi Berry DAC+ ADC Pro Stage hat that I am using with Elk Audio. This version uses the same drivers as the DAC+ ADC Pro hat but also supports balanced input and output.

When using Alsa, it is possible to set the ADC input settings to “Tip and ring difference (balanced)” to take advantage of the balanced input signal.

Do you know if it is possible to use the difference signal in Elk?

Best regards
Johan

Just to be precise, the Alsa settings that I use to get the HiFi Berry to work with balanced inputs are:

amixer sset “ADC Left Input” “{VIN1P, VIN1M}[DIFF]”
amixer sset “ADC Right Input” “{VIN2P, VIN2M}[DIFF]”

Is something similar possible using Elk Audio OS and Raspa?

Best regards
Johan

Hi Johan,
I’m currently facing the same issues. I would like to change eg. the input gain. However, I cannot execute amixer commands since the card is not listed there.

Did you find a workaround?
Best, Max

Hi Max,

Nice to know I’m not the only one. But no, I did not fint a solution. I believe that it would be necessary to write a new driver for the HiFiBerry, and I am quite sure that I am not able to do that…
At the moment I have switched to using another OS (though not so low-latency as ElkOS) where Alsa mixer is available.

Please let me know if you are getting closer to a solution.
Best regards
Johan

Sounds interesting. May I ask you what you are using your setup for? I’m seeking to run plugins via Sushi. If this was possible with another OS, I would consider a switch.

Still, I addressed this topic in the HifiBerry forum as well. I’ll let you know if I find a solution there.

I’m using it for live stereo FX on my saxophone.

At the moment I am mainly using delays and convolution reverbs so the latency is not that important…

I am pretty sure that it is possible to compile sushi to other OS than ElkOS but I haven’t tried it.

Great. So which software are you using in order to make use plugins? Looks like this could be a workaround for me as well as I‘m basically run a single lv2 delay plugin.

Hi,

I’m using the same OS as piStomp (a beta version)(New pi-Stomp 64-bit OS is ready for beta use! New features, new plugins! – DIY Multi-effects)

Best regards
Johan