Blackboard MIDI in/out DIN5 (minijack) ports

Hi,

Are the DIN5 MIDI in/out ports of the blackboard supposed to work?
If if use a minjack to DIN5 adaptor, how should I configure sushi/aconnect to use the build in ports so I don’t need a USB MIDI interface? I don’t seem to see an obvious option in aconnect…

thanks!

frederic

Any hints @Stefano @Gustav ? :slight_smile:

Hi @frederic,
yes they work and are connected to the UART on the Pi.

We haven’t had time to properly package for Elk yet but the trick is to use a tty to MIDI converter such as this one:

1 Like

Thanks for the tip. I’ll investigate. I guess what I should do is to build this using the cross-compiling toolchain and then I guess running the program (configured to listen to UART) will create some MIDI port that aconnect will recognize?

Btw, what is the UART device address in Elk Audio OS? Should it be /dev/serial0?

Hi again,

I did some tests but I was not able to succeed. I could compile mod-ttymidi using the cross compilation chain, but then running it in the elk board I get:

Cannot connect to server socket err = No such file or directory
Cannot connect to server request channel
jack server is not running or cannot be started
JackShmReadWritePtr::~JackShmReadWritePtr - Init not done for -1, skipping unlock
JackShmReadWritePtr::~JackShmReadWritePtr - Init not done for -1, skipping unlock
Error opening JACK client.
Error creating jack client.

I guess this is because jack server is not running. How should I start jack on the board? I don’t seem to be able to get it running and I’m not sure this is the way to go.

I can keep on using my USB MIDI device for now, but if at some point @Stefano (or someone else) can give some more pointers on how to get this running that’d be awesome. Thanks!

Hi @Stefano, just bumping this thread to see if I can get some of your time for this issue, I want to get rid of the USB MIDI device :slight_smile: Can you give some more detailed pointers to get this working? Thanks!