Can you overclock the Raspberry Pi 4 with Elk OS?

I see people overclocking their pi 4 from 1.5GHz as high as 2.2GHz. My project might benefit from a little more memory bandwidth and performance than the Pi offers by default. Is overclocking possible on Elk Audio OS?

Hi ilia3101 and welcome to the forums! There’s nothing in Elk Audio OS that prevents overclocking, it is after all a linux distro, albeit with some modifications and additions.

That said, we don’t give any guarantees and to my knowledge we haven’t experimented much with overclocking the Pi. Quite the contrary, in one project we tried reducing the cpu clock for less heat and reduced power consumption. Already with the stock 1,5 GHz I would recommend a heatsink/fan if you put the Pi in an enclosure and stress the cpu continuously. If you overclock it, even more so.

So if you want to try and think you know what youre doing, feel free to give it a go.

1 Like

There’s nothing in Elk Audio OS that prevents overclocking

That’s great!

it is after all a linux distro, albeit with some modifications and additions.

Being new, I had no idea what to expect, like how elk OS doesn’t use the standard audio APIs!

I’m not even certain that I’d need overclocking. The underclocking idea is cool too. I’ll definitely underclock if I’m able to get away with that.

Just managed to order a 4B. Looking forward.

It should absolutely be possible to overclock by changing the information in the config.txt file in the RPi’s boot partition. Just notice that it is not mounted by default, so you will have to do e.g.:

$ sudo mount /dev/mmcblk0p1 /mnt
$ sudo vim /mn/config.txt

As Gustav mentioned, be very careful about temps. Another issue is that even small thermal throttling can be much worse in a RT system like ours, so you really want a powerful heatsink and even a fan if you’re pushing the speed.

1 Like