Elk Audio OS 1.0 os build problem

I am trying to build the ELK Audio OS with GitHub - elk-audio/elk-audio-os-builder: Docker image to build Elk Audio OS

I am running OSX with Apple Silicon, therefore I was very happy about the new os-builder based on container technology.

uname -a
Darwin xyz 22.5.0 Darwin Kernel Version 22.5.0: Thu Jun  8 22:22:20 PDT 2023; root:xnu-8796.121.3~7/RELEASE_ARM64_T6000 arm64

The elk-audio-os-builder was built with

docker build --platform linux/amd64 -t elk-audio-os-builder .

without --platform the container would not build.

When trying to build the OS I am getting the following error:

ERROR: protobuf-c-native-1.4.1-r0 do_compile: oe_runmake failed
ERROR: protobuf-c-native-1.4.1-r0 do_compile: ExecutionError('/home/yoctouser/elk-audio-kas-configs/build/tmp/work/x86_64-linux/protobuf-c-native/1.4.1-r0/temp/run.do_compile.573113', 1, None, None)
ERROR: Logfile of failure stored in: /home/yoctouser/elk-audio-kas-configs/build/tmp/work/x86_64-linux/protobuf-c-native/1.4.1-r0/temp/log.do_compile.573113
Log data follows:
| DEBUG: Executing python function autotools_aclocals
| DEBUG: SITE files ['endian-little', 'common-linux', 'common-glibc', 'bit-64', 'x86_64-linux', 'common']
| DEBUG: Python function autotools_aclocals finished
| DEBUG: Executing shell function do_compile
| NOTE: make
| /home/yoctouser/elk-audio-kas-configs/build/tmp/work/x86_64-linux/protobuf-c-native/1.4.1-r0/recipe-sysroot-native/usr/bin/protoc -I../git --cpp_out=. ../git/protobuf-c/protobuf-c.proto
| google/protobuf/descriptor.proto: File not found.
| protobuf-c/protobuf-c.proto:31:1: Import "google/protobuf/descriptor.proto" was not found or had errors.
| protobuf-c/protobuf-c.proto:60:8: "google.protobuf.FileOptions" is not defined.
| protobuf-c/protobuf-c.proto:75:8: "google.protobuf.MessageOptions" is not defined.
| protobuf-c/protobuf-c.proto:84:8: "google.protobuf.FieldOptions" is not defined.
| make: *** [Makefile:2700: protobuf-c/protobuf-c.pb.cc] Error 1
| ERROR: oe_runmake failed
| WARNING: exit code 1 from a shell command.

Does somebody already have experience with building on OSX with Apple Silicon?

BTW: I dont have docker destop, therefore I tried with OrbStack

I was unable to get the Docker build working on my M1 Macbook, one of the libraries cannot be installed as it not released for the ARM64 architecture, I think it was the gcc-multilib.

I’m not familiar with OrbStack, but am a bit surprised that your docker build, specifying AMD64 fires up at all on the Apple silicon ARM64 platform … I wonder what magic the rosetta tech is doing under the hood.

The error you show indicates that it cannot find something in the ‘x86_64-linux’ path, I wonder if this is associated with running on an ARM chip?

I have gone on to build an Intel based VM (on an older Intel Mac Mini running Proxmox) based on the Docker setup and it works.

1 Like

@Smanth

Thanks, I will use a x86 computer.

I managed to use the container to cross compile some plugins.

1 Like