Got kit. No sound :-)

My blackboard arrived this morning. I put it all together with RPI3 i was using previously with the beta board, flashed 0.7.2 os to sd card, connected my midi keyboard, ran sushi, connected sushi to midi keyboard. set up mda vst3 synth as in docs

but i have no sound on any output. tried volume knob. no light on the blackboard display.

what should i do now?

thanks

There was a message that the blackboard was not compatible with the beta hardware without any details.

I was somewhat surprised there wasn’t a small hack with jumpers or a list of some subset of features that would mostly work. Not sure if the issue. Perhaps the display uses some signal line or interrupt.

Would be nice to get a concise set of errata for the beta boards.

to be clear, this is the new blackboard + black sita board. i have the green sita “beta” board too but i am not trying to use that

1 Like

Hi @olilarkin,
could you please more specific about your setup and exactly what commands you are running?

RPi3B/ 3B+ or RPi4?

I’d also recommend trying out one of the arpeggiator / sequencer examples just to rule out any MIDI input issues.

I tried again and it worked… sorry not sure what i did wrong the first time! thanks

1 Like

Hi @Dauq,
we published the full Blackboard project here:

very shortly the main issues are indeed a signal line for the display, the different pin connectors and some other changes in the GPIO shift registers that right now I don’t remember.

It might be possible to do some HW hack to bridge the blackboard on the Beta SIKA boards (green version) but the thing is that it’s not something we can invest anytime nor support at any level, also considering that the Beta boards were given away for free to all the beta testers.

Feel free to study the project and see if a hack might be suitable for your case.

Cheers,
Stefano

is there a json example setup for the blackboard?

You mean a SENSEI JSON I guess?

It’s already installed system-wide and (since 0.7.2), you can just do systemctl start sensei and it will run.

We also provide a Python library that abstracts SENSEI and the display access, check the examples here: